Re: Fastest Injun

To: Nt788@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fastest Injun
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 20:53:57 -0700
Actually the lines used in the movie were only about a half mile long
as I recall.  Ron Christensen or Ray Buck should be able to give you a
definitive answer on that. They didn't use the course that was laid out
half a mile away for World Finals but had their own.  They shut down
filming when a car or bike ran.

In 1951 here were two long, sturdy planks over the ditch as you came
off the highway and you had to be careful to get lined up correctly.
Many cars were flat towed from either the Western Motel in Wendover or
from the old barracks at the abandoned airfield because getting a
trailer across those planks was a job..  You found one of the
dilapidated barracks with a good roof and no sign of animal life if you
could.  Brushed the dust aside and crashed for the night, interrupted
by the roar of newly rebuilt engines at some nearby spot where you
could rig up a come along.  We also slept in the gravel pit that was
west of what is now the access road.

Wes