Re: Fuel / Air Flow

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel / Air Flow
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 12:58:05 -0500
On Thursday, January 5, 2006, at 12:19  PM, Dick J wrote:

> Let's assume that a 1/2" fuel line will be maxed out, flowing as much
> fuel as it can.  What size hole/tube is needed for an air vent on the
> tank so that the flow of fuel will not be slowed by pulling a vacuum?
> I'm just guessing that air flows a helluvah lot easier/faster than
> fuel, and that something like a 1/8" or 1/4" vent will compensate for
> the liquid flow through the 1/2" fuel line.

I dunno if I'd settle for that, Dick.  When I pour fuel from my
5-gallon jug into the Oshkosh -- the spout on the jug is 1/2 - 5/8 or
so, and the air hole is about 1/8 -- and there's an obvious
restriction, the fuel flows slowly-er than it would if the air hole
were bigger.  It's just gravity, not a pumped system -- and there's
restriction.

Here's yet another case where bigger would be better.  Don't tell Nancy
I said that.

                  Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan