Moisture and Humidity Hazard

To: lsr list autox <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Moisture and Humidity Hazard
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:27:13 -0800 (PST)
Last year I installed a new fuel cell, new pump, new cannister filter and new
fuel line in my 55 Chrysler.  I knew I would be letting it set for a while, so
I plugged off the end of the line with a rubber stopper (to keep wasps from
building a nest in the fuel line).

  Last week, I decided to cannibalize some of these parts for my Trans Am.
When I opened the top on the fuel cell, I was surprised at the amount of
moisture that had collected in the foam.  Even more surprising, the fuel filter
had about two or three ounces of water in the bottom of the cannister, and the
top of the inside of the cannister was all gummed up with gooey rust.
Everything had been sealed for a year or more, so all of this crap had
apparently condensed out of the humidity in the air that was trapped in the
system.

  When you run the last race of the year (for me, it's World of Speed in
September) and you are going to park the car until spring, other than draining
the leftover fuel from the tank, what steps do you guys take to deal with
accumulated humidity and moisture in the fuel system?

  Assuming you aren't going to tear down the motor, what do you do to deal with
moisture in the block and valve covers?

  Yeah, I know - - - move to Pahrump or Arizona  !!!!   But what if I stay in
Texas??

  Dick J
  In East Texas