non-lsr lawnmower ignition

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: non-lsr lawnmower ignition
From: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:55:53 -0800
Hi gang,
Since the grass is still growing here in California (the Lawn!  What were you
thinking?), the mower was out for a little exercise today.  Well, I exercised
the hell out of my right arm but didn't get any grass cut.  Found no
discernible spark at the plug, so popped off the engine cover and it appears
to have an "electronic" (no points) magneto arrangement.  Being unfamiliar
with such a system, thought I'd ask you more knowledgeable types:  Shouldn't I
get a spark each time the magnet goes by?  Or is it possible/likely that when
I'm "quickly" rotating the flywheel magnet by hand (an eighth turn or so),
it's too slow?  Didn't seem to me that the speed would be that much slower
than when I pull the starter cord, but it could be.  As I recall, magneto
output is roughly proportional to speed...  Anyway, before spending $30 or
more on a new coil, it would be nice to confirm it's NFG first.  I checked the
secondary resistance at about 6K.  Thoughts?
Benn