Re: chute release

To: Glen Barrett <speedtimer@charter.net>,
Subject: Re: chute release
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:08:55 -0800 (PST)
Based on your experience, what percentage of mishaps have occurred right at the
final timing line where reaching for the chute release may have played a part
in the mishap?

  Dick J

Glen Barrett <speedtimer@charter.net> wrote:
  Dick
I tried an electric pull solenoid before I made my air operated system. The
problem I found with the electric was the short pull. With air I could get
a longer stroke to assure the release cable pulled free of the chute flap
loop. I used a Clippard small bore cyl and air switch and a 1 qt. storage
bottle. As I recall the stroke was 2 to 3 inches. Air pressuer was about 50
psi. I also could over ride the cylinder as the cyl was inside a tube and
would slide manually in case the air system didn't work. However it asways
worked.

Nice part about it is you can keep your hands on the wheel and not reach for
the release like most do.
Glen

 Yahoo! Personals