Re: Bonneville

To: wester6935@comcast.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bonneville
From: BWANA343@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:38:18 EDT
I returned from The Salt this morn from the Redeye out of SLC around midnight
last. I can't add any fresh accurate info regarding Sunday's tragedy except
to confirm how it kind of sealed a lot of people's decisions on whether to race
or not. After the Driver's meeting on Friday, we were all invited to drive
the courses to personally get an idea of what was very difficult to describe,
regarding surface conditions and possible routes or strategies. I drove a
rental
Buick LeSabre on both courses and was really unsettled at how a
non-performance passenger car bounced around and was very concerned how racers
would decide
what to do. The Volunteers were out a lot of Friday and Saturday grading and
dragging and improved the situation as best they could.
I too had many phone conversations with JB regarding my appearances at
Maxton, and always found him to be a gentleman, a professional, and a genuine
good
guy. That is all I'd want said of me after my passing.
Regarding John Fitch and the Gullwing racer. Here is a guy you could sit with
for hours and pick memories with.  I met him last year on The Salt, then two
weeks later at Lime Rock Vintagefest, and again this year out front of the
Wendover Nuggett. Never enough time to hear him, I hope to catch up with him
again Lime Rock shortly.
As for my car, we will be at Maxton Sept 24/25 definitely probably again
maybe, I think
Bob W
ps for those of you I didn't meet personally either on The Salt or at the
Salt Talks, I was the guy hanging out with the tall Asian guy, my Tuner
guy,Chan.