Re: Protecting the brain -- VW's

To: "LSR list" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Protecting the brain -- VW's
From: "atrav" <atrav@copper.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:08:54 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>
> About 5 years ago My son David, the mechanical engineer, decided to save some
> bucks and change the oil in his wife's Passat.  Being the logical thinker that
> he is he removed the only visible drain plug, drained the oil into a pan
> without noting it's color, replaced the plug and added oil to the engine.
> Later he got in, drove about halfway down the block and realized something was
> very wrong.  After a trip to the dealer he was $200 poorer; but the car was
> OK.  Surprise!   The engine oil drain plug was hidden up under a panel

A neighbor of mine did that with a Triumph TR7 years ago. I'm not sure what oil
(or what fluid) he
did drain, but he ended up with like 12 quarts of oil in the engine. There was
so much oil in the
engine that it wouldn't start well, or run right, so he let it sit for months
instead. Ran great
once he figured it out. ;o)

I wonder why with my '86 ZX1000 beater I can turn it off, and the oil
inspection window will be
totally clear (no oil). I can lean it way over, no oil in the window, then
about a minute after
there will be a gurgle, and the oil level is fine. Concerning, but it's been
like that for years....

-Aron-