Re: Tig Welding

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tig Welding
From: "atrav" <atrav@copper.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 10:05:38 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Tig Welding

> I've gotten a bit better at welding over the last few years and thought I'd
> try sticking the tungsten out farther and increasing the argon flow just a
> bit...   On my welder this seems to be about 4lbs higher at 24 now..... With a
> sharp tip I can finally weld a smaller bead...

Hmmm, I only use about 10 lbs of argon pressure for regular steel. Sometime
more when I'm putting a
fat bead on thick aluminum, really it depends on the size of the cup. FWIW I've
tried diffusers too
(a few came with my used TIG) with no difference that I can see. For a small
bead I create a squared
off pencil point on the tungsten. I've read that having a sharp tip actually
causes the arc to flair
out more, where squaring off the tip will focus the arc. Works for me at least.
I have a water cooled torch, so I do run the tungsten closer to the cup than
most people. But, the
only times I feel the need to extend the tungsten is when I need to reach in
some nook.
-Aron-