Re: SCTA/BNI and FIA

To: Richard Fox <v4gr@rcn.com>
Subject: Re: SCTA/BNI and FIA
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:53:18 -0800
List,

It seems to me that this is a familiar discussion. I can remember back
in  the late fifties that the group that then controlled Bonneville
attempted to get FIA sanction of Bonneville events or some kind of
certification of their records. George Hill actually went to France and
met with the FIA Officials, I believe. To make a long story short, The
Bonneville Board at that time bankrupted themselves trying to move into
a professional position. The SCTA was offered control of the Bonneville
Events by accepting the debt that had been incurred and formed the BNI
in 1961 while I was president of the Association.

Some years later the Land Speed Authority was formed, but seemed to go
nowhere. I do support the idea of the SCTA/BNI forming a sanctioning
body for World Records. I am convinced that there is no one better
qualified. Among other issues, a problem with FIA is that the categories
they offer do nothing for most of the racers in our organization.
However, for me, a Bonneville record is just as meaningful as anything
offered by FIA.

Tom, Redding - #216 D/CC