(non lsr) 2005 Detroit Auto Show & other Detroit events

To: <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: (non lsr) 2005 Detroit Auto Show & other Detroit events
From: "John L Staiger" <staiger3@starband.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:07:18 -0500
Speaking of the C6 Z06... I not sure if anyone else will find the humor in
the following; however I thought I would share on the outside chance of
brightening someone's day... about a month ago my wife and I were privileged
to participate in a C5R Performance tour in Detroit... This event included
laps at MIS in our "stock" corvettes (no pace car and a blind eye from the
officials - FUN FUN FUN!) a day at Pratt and Miller pouring over the C5R and
sneak preview of the C6R (Z06) and culminated with a tour of the GM Heritage
Museum - GM's private, not open to the public warehouse/museum.

During the dinner and tour of GM's hidden gem, door prizes where given
away... in this case the prize was really a door... a autographed door from
the 2004 Le Mans winning C5R...  well my good friend won the prize and then
the fun began... how do you get a full size corvette door into the trunk of
a Z06 (his car)? Well you don't... we tried and tried and no amount of drink
would persuade that door to fit... even tried removing his wife... bad
idea... very bad...

However there are solutions...  visualize 35 corvettes in parade going down
16 Mile from the museum to the hotel (16 mile is the main drag through two
large Detroit suburbs), at midnight... on a Saturday night... with all of
the cruisers and bar hoppers surrounding us... being led by a corvette
convertible (mine) with a 4 foot yellow door sticking through the roof... a
giant yellow sail... oh, did I mention this is November and the temperature
could make a polar bear shutter... well let's just say we were the highlight
of the evening based on the number of comments and honks we received... I
may even thaw out in a month or two...

Lastly, this turned out to be a very expensive night for me... first - Pratt
and Miller was one great tour... there is some serious brain power in that
shop... lots of great ideas for the Bonneville vette, and second while my
friend was holding the door in my car, my wife was driving his Z06... bad,
very bad... now she is "requesting" her own... bad, very bad...

John L. Staiger

"...those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty or safety. Nor, are they likely to end up
with either."
                             -- Benjamin Franklin