Re: The Rodder's Journal Poster

To: land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: The Rodder's Journal Poster
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:26:29 EST
In a message dated 12/12/2004 3:53:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
wester6935@comcast.net writes:

> There's a nice color shot of the interior of that car on page 104 of Dean
> Batchelor's book, The American Hot Rod, showing the Ardun engine.  Whe I
>asked
> LeRoy to autograph another picture later in the book he was gracious about
> signing it and I was told later that he was very pleased that someone
> "remembered" him.  I treasure being told that as much as the actual
>autograph.  Steve
> Coonan is doing some nice things with that publication.  He is also the
> publisher of the new 50 Years of Rod and Custom that Thom Taylor did.
>Another
> good book for your Christmas list.
>
> Wes
>

> >The ' 05 The Rodder's Journal poster that just came is a nice close-up of
> the
> >Neumayer-Reed Brothers drop tank C lakester on the salt in 1954.

    When I got my first Ardun in 1980 from a street rodder in Iowa City, IA
he told me it had come from Roy Reed in Missouri, partner in the tank shown on
the recent Rodders Journal poster. Roy had retired from LA to a farm in
Missouri, taking lots of his parts and engines with him.
    I had several phone conversations with Mr. Reed prior to his death about
20 years ago. He had no idea which of his or Leroy's Ardun engines was in the
now famous tank when Neumayer set the 205MPH record that Ferguson et all
recently broke, or which engine was installed when the Moon Wheel Disc ad
picture
was taken.
    I have talked with Leroy Neumayer at Speed Week meets on several
occasions over the past few years and he can't recall which engine was
installed for
the various meets either.
    Anyway, there's a chance that my original set of Ardun heads was
installed in the tank for one of the above mentioned occasions............Ardun
Doug
King