Re: What's in your crankcase? Part two from S S Slim

To: BWANA343@aol.com
Subject: Re: What's in your crankcase? Part two from S S Slim
From: "Jon E. Wennerberg" <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:00:49 -0500
On Tuesday, December 7, 2004, at 10:27 AM, BWANA343@aol.com wrote:

> I'd think the viscosity advantage of a synthetic alone would be enough
> reason to use it. Especially because of your location "way up north".
> I've been  a
> Mobil 1 fan over 30 years, cars, bikes, small engines, and  the
> temperature
> stable viscosity was one of the factors I found it attractive.
> Cleaner,non-leaded fuels make it less of an option with today's
> extended oil  changes due to
> less oil contimination than years ago. But I'd think your
> battery/starter
> would last longer with a synthetic. I also think there are big
> differences in
> over the counter oil filters. The widely available Fram filters  are
> not 10,000
> mile capable, IMHO. Do a search on oil filters , and  make  your own
> decision.
> Bob, doesn't really like oil changes anyhoo, W

We used to live on the beach of Lake Superior -- the oil would chill to
ambient very quickly.  Of course, being on the lakeshore, extreme cold
(below -15 or so) was rare -- the big lake keeps the air temp.
relatively high.  Anyway, I tried 5W30 synthetic and even 0W 30 --
absolutely no noticeable difference in cold starting (over
non-synthetics).  Battery life was in the 4-6 year range, never had
starter troubles.  I've never lived in a cold place -- we seldom get
much below -20 at the homes I've lived at (Jerry, who works for me,
lives farther inland and see -30 and below a couple of times a winter).
  He sometimes plugs in his vehicles.  Our diesel trucks get plugged in
when they spend overnight outside -- to get the defroster/heater
working more quickly, more than to get 'em to start easily.  Cat.
motors have an intake air preheater (powered by the vehicle battery)
that cycles on (about one full minute) before cold starts, and
son-of-a-gun, do they ever make cold starts easy!

I get our filters from CarQuest in town. . .

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan
              (that's 'way up north)