Re: Some pics from the Sunbeam Internatioanl get together.

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>, "list answer"
Subject: Re: Some pics from the Sunbeam Internatioanl get together.
From: pork.pie@t-online.de (Pork Pie)
Date: 30 Jul 2004 19:30 GMT
Sorry, let me correct some information -

The first Sunbeam, who set a record, was the

350 HP Sunbeam - driven by Kenelm Lee Guinness (the famous founder of KLN spark
plugs)

133.709 mph in 1922 at Brooklands

Malcolm Campbell bought the car and modified them - he set some higher speed
records who was not certified, at last he set an official record

246.163 mph in 1924 at Pendine Beach

pushed them up to

150.838 mph in 1925 also at Pendine Beach (first official over 150 mph)

Henry O'Neal de Hane Segrave used than the 4 litre Sunbeam "Ladybird" also know
as "Tiger"

152.307 mph (only over the kilo, the mile was too slow by a blown charger)in
1926  at Southport

The Tiger was the last record racer who was also used in normal races (round
track)

>From there on was only Specials used for the World Land Speed Record

The next Sunbeam was the 1000 HP Sunbeam "Slug", driven by Segrave at Daytona
Beach

203.793 mph in 1927 (first official over 200 mph)

The car used two "Matabele" engine, each got about 440 HP - the replacement of
each engine was 22 444 cc, which is about 1369.6 ci, weights 3860 kg, which is
about 8510 (american) pounds. The overall length was 7188 mm, which is about
23.582 feet. The wheelbase was
3581 mm, which is about 11.75 feet.

The last Sunbeam was the "silver Bullet" from 1930, a very unlcky record
vehicle which never set a record, except on one record, no other record breaker
caught more fire on board than the Silver Bullet - this car was the answer from
Sunbeam to Segrave's Golden Arrow from 1929.

Hope this clarified the Sunbeam Land Speed Historie

See ya

Pork Pie