Re: Subject: Re: Shaving Tires

To: "John Beckett" <saltracer@servusa.com>
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Shaving Tires
From: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 19:45:04 -0700
John--You're right.  I thought of that when I suggested a template.  You'd
make it to match the bottoms of the tread grooves at full inflation.  Then
mount the template in a way that the cutting force between the rubber and
the grinding wheel pushes the grinder directly against the template. Set
this contraption up in a way that allows you to hand feed the grinder
laterally across the tire without it shaking or vibrating.  Include a way to
take a sucession of light and ever deeper cuts. May take some creative
thinking.  I'd start with a piece of 3/4 plywood and cut it to shape. Slot
it so it can be moved inward after each pass until you clear off the
grooves.  One of the keys to effective machining of anything is controlling
tool and workpiece vibrations so you get a consistent cut. Be careful--Lots
of mechanical energy working here.  You don't want it disipating in your
bod.
Ed Weldon