Whats happening?

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Whats happening?
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:08:50 -0500
List

My news has LSR content, but nothing to do with building a fast car.

A week ago I was just on the edge of the Sahara desert in Tunisia checking
on the conditions for running land speed records on the Chott el Djerid.

The Chott is flooded at this time of year but will be ready for running at
the start of the summer.  Some more rain and wind expected during the next
month an a half to level out the surface and then bright sunshine will
evaporate the saline solution.  No town like Wendover nearby but there is
an International airport and many hotels in Tozeur - about 35km away from
the track position.  Take a look at a map to see how little population
there is in this Country but a big salt lake!

All being well the first ever LSR bid in Tunisia will be the attempt I am
organising.  This will be on the White Lightning Electric245 mph records.
Should be back out there at the start of the summer for the bid.

A lot of enthusiasm from the National Automobile Club and the Tourist folk,
but the country of Tunisia is football (soccer) mad, as shown by their
celebrations for winning the African Nations Cup.

After North Africa, we could be moving down to South Africa for the next
attempt and celebration later this year.  Then who knows, a few National
British records perhaps and then planning for what 2005 might bring .......

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.