Re: 1/4-24 thread inserts - Non LSR

To: "todd" <todd@twinjugs.com>
Subject: Re: 1/4-24 thread inserts - Non LSR
From: "Richard Fox" <v4gr@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:48:27 -0800
Todd- I used a set of Helicoil 1/2-20 inserts similar to the spark plug
inserts to repair the flywheel bolt holes in my crank flange last year.
Before that I thought Helicoil only made STI (Single Thread Insert) . When I
was gainfully employed we would sometimes make our own inserts out of 303
stainless by tapping out the rod and then single pointing an oversize thread
on the OD of the insert. Like 1/4-24 with a 5/16 or 3/8 SAE thread + .004 or
.005 pitch dia. Mill a couple of flats on the end, freeze it, heat the part,
and try to screw it in before they equalized. Never made it. But you can
usually get it in soft metal.      Rich Fox