Measurement of Aero lift (#1)

To: "LSR submissions" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Measurement of Aero lift (#1)
From: "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 00:05:46 -0800
I tried to send this when the subject was hot but I think the length killed
it.  I have split this in two and am trying to re-send again.

Since your suspension is rigid mounted I find the use of a strain gauge

interesting. To measure strain you must have "yield" (which can be either
plastic or elastic).  I would guess that every part of your suspension is
extremely strong and not likely to allow a micro yield-range small enough,
even for a strain gage. Further, you might be hesitant to "weaken" something
just to get a strain reading.

There are a number of non-contact measurement sensors that work in many

industrial applications.  Ultrasonic, MIR (Miro pulse radar), Radar,

etc.  are all NON-contact methods.  A Goggle search (using the advanced

search feature) on something like "non-contact measurement" or micro pulse

radar will provide plenty of reference material.

I would like to suggest two other approaches. (1) getting a ground distance

measurement or (2) ascertaining important information from your tire.

Number 1 may be straight forward. A sensor (see links in part 2 below) could
be

pointed at the ground to measure vehicle-to-ground distance.  Of course,

sensor noise, course deviations, tire growth, would all have to be filtered

and a trend established. Deviations from the tolerance band could

be identified to warn the driver.  -Elon