Missing Records

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Missing Records
From: Elon Ormsby <ormsby1@llnl.gov>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:54:37 -0700
Many thanks to all that responded to my original question. And even though
it brought up other issues and morphed in "2" club minimums and invisible
(unpublished) records, I learned a lot from the discussion.  Lots of new
and good information that I would not have thought to ask.

However, I still need clarification.  (Excluding thrust and diesel) engine
classes are listed from AA to K and the x** to V* (18 total) . I thought
you could just pick an engine break and transplant that into any vehicle
and you would have a class and size.  An example is the streamliner
class.  EVERY engine size (and modification like gas or fuel, blown or
un-blown) has a listed record (see Bonneville records pgs. 73-74).  Same
deal for BFL or unblown FL.  Then you come to pg. 76 and you notice that a
"K" motor is MISSING from BGL but for the next lower class it is back in
and allowed for a GL.

It appears that there are gaps in allowed motors within a vehicle class. Is
this because they are NOT ALLOWED or simply for lack of an entry or
interest?     I would like to start with a fixed engine size and keep it as
I  progress through the ranks as gas, blown-gas, fuel, blown-fuel. The
problem is, one or more of those combinations may be missing from the
vehicle category. This is an important question because if the engine is
not allowed there is no use even building a vehicle for that class.  If it
is because of lack of entries then one would have a chance to go for a
minimum or a record.

As Dan has indicated, and I realize, the rule book can't have a space for
18 engines times every vehicle type. So, even though it is NOT LISTED , can
ANY vehicle run any of the 18 designated engine sizes?   -Elon