Metric to AN fittings conclusion

To: "LSR list" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Metric to AN fittings conclusion
From: "atrav" <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:26:07 -0400
Here's the three catalogs I'm using to convert the Porsche plumbing to AN. The
local hydraulic
places have assured me that they can order any part number I come up with,
we'll see...
Most seem to be sub $10, which is good.

One problem is that the Porsche fittings are very deep, many more threads used
before a seal is
made. That's a problem with some of the standard metric-to-AN fittings, they
bottom out before
sealing. Parker has a few that are about twice as many threads as others.

Another problem is that every rubber hose of the fuel system has a different
fitting. Male, female,
shallow threads, deeply threaded, etc. I thought this was part of Porsche's
design, to make fittings
that insure the customer or service shop can ONLY buy Porsche parts, since they
are so different.
But I'm also sure that part of the reason was the way it's designed, it would
be near impossible to
assemble wrong. Good for the assembly line, every fitting is different, so no
way to get the wrong
ones together.

The first catalog is the main 37* flare fittings catalog, the second two are
supplements I needed
for some of the weirder metric conversions.
www.parker.com/tfd/cat/pdffiles/C-Triple-Lok.pdf
www.parker.com/tfd/cat/pdffiles/L-Conversion%20Adapters.pdf
www.parker.com/tfd/cat/pdffiles/N-Diagnostic.pdf

This one is for the Japanese stuff with the 30* flares, in case any of you all
get into that.
www.parker.com/tfd/cat/pdffiles/i-jis.pdf

Also, Parker's support answered a tech question email in 12 hours, a record for
such a huge company.

-Aron-