engine cooling question

To: lsr list autox <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: engine cooling question
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 07:40:34 -0700 (PDT)
I keep encountering a little problem that has me baffled.  My SBC needs to have
the radiator topped off with about a gallon of water after every three or four
runs.  I cannot find any leaks anywhere.  I'm running a standard radiator and
catch tank.  Now, my family car (3.8 Buick) is doing the same thing.  About
every 500 miles or so I have to add about two or three quarts of coolant.  I
have checked everywhere and cannot find any signs of leaking.  Neither car has
any visible vapor in the exhaust.  The oil in both motors stays clean and
clear.  The only thing I can think of is that there is a very small transfer
into the combustion chambers somewhere, (seeping head gasket?) and the coolant
gets run through the combustion cycle so slowly that there is no visible vapor
in exhaust.  What puzzles me is, if that's what's happening, when the coolant
is still (cool motor) I should be able to see some sign of compression back
into the coolant system - -bubbles or something.  Nope,  before
 the thermostat opens, the water/coolant is still.  Anybody got any ideas
what's happening here?

Dick J in East Texas