Re: Bentley 24 hour

To: Jon Wennerberg <jonw@up.net>
Subject: Re: Bentley 24 hour
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 08:56:47 -0700
Jon,

I remember the 10 mile circle. As I remember, part of it crossed the
International Course.

In 1962, Mickey Thompson & Lloyd Cox drove a Pontiac Catalina to several
records on the 10 mile circle.

In 1968, Craig and Lee Breedlove ran an American Motors AMX and set 106
new records.

In September 1971, Bobby Isaac drove a Dodge to new records. Quoted from
internet article..."September was a busy month for Bobby.  On the 12th
Bobby and the K&K team along with the cars owner Nord Krauskopf went to
the Bonneville Salt Flats to set some stock car speed records.  Bobby
set 28 land speed records, some of which still stand today.

--Bobbys skill on the dirt tracks paid off at Bonneville.  Normally at
Bonneville for long distance records, they run on a circle, but with the
condition of the salt that year they had to run on an oval. It was
basically two-mile straight-aways and three-mile turns, for a 10 mile
lap.--

Many of the records were set on this huge flat 10 mile oval. On the
turns the Daytona would run around 190 mph and on the straight-aways up
to 205 mph.  His best speed was on the Flying Kilometer at 217.368 mph.
The Daytona weighed in at 3900 pounds and the engine was running at 650
horses."

I can't remember any use of the 10 mile circle after the 70s. But then
my memory is infallible.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC