Tires - Tyres

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tires - Tyres
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 12:24:22 -0400
List

Graham Moss the owner of the Aero-engined Bentley Thunderbolt will need a
supply of tyres for his 24 hour duration bid - whether on concrete (1.5
degree banking Wes) or on salt (flat), during which he will challenge the
Ab Jenkins Mormon Meteor class records (FIA versions).

UK based tyre manufacturers have not offered any support or assistance even
though tyres were made here in the 20's and 30's.  But we cannot travel
back in time.

As I have said in other e mails the planning for the car has been based on
period design (20's).
So Goodyear Eagles are not suitable for the diameter needed.  And he does
not need the width or want to spoil the looks with NASCAR width!

Wheels are intended to be spoked with the knock off splined centre lock hub
system, so 3 piece rims cannot be used either to mount aircraft tyres with
rigid side walls.

Speed - peak of 200 mph with normal running laps of 180 mph to achieve an
average (24 hours) of 165 mph.

Minimum Diameter 34 inches. (Circumference 9.6 feet).  Rim 19 inch diameter
? 800 mile tire life

(What does the Phoenix truck use and were they changed between runs - how
well did they hold up).

So having set down the parameters can the list help ........... ?  Is there
a classic or vintage racing or speed scene in the USA?

Please let me know your ideas ..........

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.

ps Graham has made a crown wheel and pinion and cast a 'banjo' unit for his
back axle that accepts 1550 ft lbs torque at very low Rolls Royce revs (so
ratio is closing on 1:1) - could supply more ........