Virus Alert!

To: Kris Wright <kw@cimsoft.com>, vc.wright@mchsi.com,
Subject: Virus Alert!
From: Daniel Wright <daniel.wright@genetics.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:34:13 -0600
Hi
This came from our Computer support group here at the University this
morning.  It is not a hoax.  If they are concerned you should be also.
Don't open attachments you are not expecting, even if you know the person
who sent it.  Call the sender and ask if it's something they are aware they
sent or a virus that sent itself.
Dan

>There's another fast-moving virus/worm that just started propagating
>across the Internet and has already come up against our network this
>morning.  Know as the Playh worm, it uses randomized Subject Lines and
>Return Addresses.
>
>The message body reads, "All information is in attached file."
>
>**** Although our Email Gateway is already stopping most if not all of
>Playh at this time, please be on the look-out ***
>
>As always, and even if you know the source, never open an attachment
>without absolute certainty and expectation.
>

>If this virus infects your computer, it will copy itself to the registry
>and then begins looking for open shares on the network.  Some security
>vendors are also reporting that it may also connect to a remote Web site
>and attempt to download malicious code.  It will also email itself to any
>email addresses it can find on the infected machine.
>

>Thanks for your attention,
>
>Rick Haycock
>Computer Administrator
>EIHG Information Services