RE: hypersonic LSR

To: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>,
Subject: RE: hypersonic LSR
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 04:13:19 -0500
Neil, Louise, List:
I remember talk of the "blown" wing, also, but never learned enough to
understand how it is supposed to work.

Some time ago there were experiments doing the opposite-- sucking the
turbulent boundary layer into the airframe, to establish laminar flow in
areas that wouldn't otherwise be laminar.  I think I heard that the
experiments worked, but that the holes tended to plug-up.

But what this "blown helium" idea sounds like to me is the navy experiments
in blowing air into the water at the front of boats and submarines, to
provide a less dense media to run-through.  It sounds wierd, but I think I
remember reading that it actually works.

Now where can I put that helium bottle on my bike?  OOH, maybe a mixture
with H2--??
Russ, $1226B