Re: April Maxton photo site (non-LSR)

To: John Szalay <john.szalay@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: April Maxton photo site (non-LSR)
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 20:42:48 -0600
on 5/7/03 9:01 PM, John Szalay at john.szalay@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> At 08:33 AM 5/6/03 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> And yet another thought - with the first hundred yards or so of the lsr
>> pavement angled off about 10 degrees --- I've assumed that the "glider"
>> would be placed where the lsr start line is, and the airplane set to drag
>> said glider would be on the straight part of the runway.  This would reduce
>> initial towing load on the tow vehicle when it starts to move (remember your
>> geometry here).  By the time the airplane is moving right along and
>> accelerating decently the tow line to the glider would be straight and the
>> full load would be on the plane.  How'd I do?
>

> Don,t really know, I served with a SGT (very old SGT)
> that wore glider wings, (and jump-wings) while the rest of us
> just wore jump-wings, as I understand it the C-47 could tow
> one or two gliders depending on loading.  Gliders could also
> be picked up on the fly, by a already airborne tow plane.
> the only time I was in a glider was during highschool
> when I took a ride with a friend who was in ROTC
> and flew gliders from the old Wheeler field in Hawaii.
> and we used a truck to pull us aloft and we rode the
> thermals off the mountains.

The airport next to the Fremont Drag Strip used to give glider flights.  I
went up one spring day and we could have stayed aloft for hours.  Mt. Diablo
could have been fun but the ride was only for half an hour.  Great views
from above the tops of those mountains.  Pacific to the West and all the way
to the Sierras on the East.  I couldn't believe how quiet it was. I expected
more wind noise.  They pulled us up from a standing start using a Piper Cub
and a tow rope with some small amount of stretch.

Wes