The concept of Data?

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: The concept of Data?
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 03:32:13 -0500
In my mind.... ( oh hush Glen )... The whole concept here is to collect
information and then to use that information as a way of referencing
performance of a given pass with past runs to see if the actual performance
of the car was better or worse then it was previously.

The concept is to tune the car as a result the Data...    If the Egt's
aren't exactly correct, it's not really important... what is important is
what they are normally when the car has a reasonable tune-up.  Then what
they are on this last pass.

  I'd also like to have enough Data to start referencing the time it takes
to accelerate say...from 6000 rpm to 7000 rpm in third gear.  Without
outside air measurements ( wind data on course at the exact location the car
is going from 6 to 7000 rpm ) it's going to be hard to use a small set of
sample data.... so I might have to artificially set up runs to test tune
up's....  for example...  the car might have to be driven to half track at
3000 rpm in third gear then given full throttle and measuring the time it
takes to accelerate from 4000 to say 7500.

More on Acceleration testing in the next one