Re: Turbojets NOT

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Turbojets NOT
From: John Szalay <john.szalay@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:55:30 -0500
At 09:07 AM 2/18/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks to all contributors on this discussion, so we got a better grasp
>of the facts.
>
>Only problem is, most of us, including myself, love to hear the
>beautiful exhaust note of a well-tuned piston engine.  And the turbine
>engine can never produce anything but a brutal roar.  Bill

  Went to Middlesboro Ky  back in 2001 for the engine start of these
lovely piston engines,   frozen in ice for 50 years..
and then for the taxi testing
 and then back again last year to see her fly.
worst part was the sound of the Allisons was drowned out by the sound
of the radial in the chase plane most of the test flight.
solo photo pass down the runway was  fantastic.  great sound & sight.

http://thelostsquadron.com/videoclip2001.ram

http://thelostsquadron.com

and truly a sickening sight,  bearing failure on the left engine.

http://thelostsquadron.com/ggg37ch.html

since repaired...