RE: Teaching About LSR

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Teaching About LSR
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 10:20:59 -0600
Katie;

That's a nice idea. I'm sure most of the kids will be interested and
enthusiastic about your program.

How about going through a description of what LSR is all about, with photos
of the salt, cars, & people and also giving them a background on how that
salt came to be there-- a little mini-geology lesson, too.

Then have each one draw a design for his own LSR car (they each decide which
class they will run)and after letting them see a real LSR vehicle up close,
let then design another LSR vehicle as a group project. Let them explain
where the engine fits into the car, how the power is transmitted to the
wheels, etc. This makes them think about how it works rather than just
drawing pretty pictures.

Lots of neat stuff can be done with nothing more than a pencil and paper--
big $ sometimes get in the way of learning rather than helping. My Mother
taught in a one-room schoolhouse in French Creek, WV with a budget that was
close to zero but the kids in that community became doctors, lawyers,
businessmen, teachers, and good citizens. Money is highly overrated as a
teaching tool.

OK, off my soapbox-- good luck with your program; it certainly sounds
worthwhile!

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ