RE: home made wind tunnel

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: home made wind tunnel
From: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:16:56 -0700
Hi Dad,

Just had a nice little chat with our aerodynamicist regarding your tunnel
project.  He said that for flow visualization (which I think is what you're
looking for as opposed to imperical data) a low speed tunnel (60-70 MHP?)
will be an excellent tool for you.

He had some inputs for things to be aware of; first he said a draw-through
tunnel would be preferable to a blow-through design.  Second be aware that
the tunnel inlet can generate unwanted distortions in the flow field, so use
your smoke to investigate for any inlet distortions before moving on to the
bike.  A flow straightener upstream would be a good idea.

We talked a bit about smoke wands too.  A couple of "cheap" outs would be
that some fire departments use smoke generators for their training and you
might be able to hook up that way.  Second was that he had one of his guys
on a prior project provide smoke grenades, of course that requires a
pyrotechnic license, but you might be able to find someone with the
appropriate license to help out.

We are both very interested on how this project works out, so please keep us
informed as you go along.

Dale C.

PS:  If you'd like more input as you go along please feel free to contact me
offline.