Re: Stress Relief

To: wmtsmith@landracing.com, Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stress Relief
From: Doug Odom <popms@thegrid.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 09:10:41 -0800
    I remember that the main reason the Pettys left Chrysler was they could not
make the good TA 340 blocks fast enough. They said that they sat them outside
in the snow and heat for a year
before the machined them. At that time they were making more horse power than
the chevys could, but the main webs were not strong enough. After waiting for a
long time for the first batch of TA
blocks to cure they found out there was a core shift and they were all junk.
Harry Hyde tried to build a couple of them. He told me the first one leaked
water all over the floor in the dyno room.
The second one leaked oil all over the floor, and the third one leaked both oil
and water. So he just gave up. By the time chrysler came out with the new batch
and heat treated them everyone had
stopped using mopars.   Doug Odom in big ditch