Brain Picking

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Brain Picking
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:46:34 -0800 (PST)
 Mike Meirle Wrote:

   Ok,I'm 46, and rookied when I was 44. At the Sidewinders meeting
   I'm one of the "Young" guys trying to figure out who's brain to pick
   for speed secrets

Actually, it's pretty easy to figure out who's brain to pick.  On the
occasion of my thirteenth birthday, my dad told me that pretty soon,
Id know everything about everything, but that I should always
remember that as soon as I open my stupid mouth to tell somebody what
I knew, thered be somebody who knew a lot more standing right next
to me. At the time, I wasnt sure what he meant, but being a polite
and respectful boy, I kept my mouth shut and just listened. He had
taught me about being respectful and listening because anytime I tried
to open my mouth, argue, or talk back, hed knock me on my butt with
whatever was at hand - - a shovel, a concrete block, a wheelbarrow, a
bag of mortar (he was a contractor).

As time went by, I began to understand that what he meant was, that
you can learn a lot more by keeping your mouth shut and listening
quietly, rather than opening your yap and letting everybody know how
stupid you are.

For many years, my passion was motorcycle racing. My greatest joy came
from racing vintage road racing motorcycles, especially at Daytona,
which was only a couple of hundred miles from my home, and which I
considered my "home track".

Some years back, 1993 or '94, I think (maybe even before that) I was
walking through the pits during practice, and came across some guys
bench racing. One of them looked like a tall, skinny Santa, with long
white hair and a white beard. One was a typical rough-looking
Harley-type guy. The third guy was a really, really old English
gentleman, and the fourth was a young kid that was younger than any of
my children. I figured he was just there to try and learn
something. The topic for discussion was tires, traction, and the
condition of the track there at Daytona.

Well, hell, this was my home track, and I had just come in from a
practice session. Who could be more qualified than I to help these
guys out. Then, just before I opened my mouth, I remembered my dads
advice, and decided just to stand by and listen instead. Anyhow, these
guys seemed to know a little about the subject.

Later that day, I learned that the Santa - looking guy was non other
than our own Don Vesco. Hmmm, seems like he's ridden some bikes
pretty fast on some pretty diverse surfaces. The rough Harley-looking
guy turned out to be Jay Springstein, probably the winner of more
Grand National motorcycle races than any other rider in American
motorcycle history. That really old English gentleman turned out to be
John Surtees, the only racer in history ever to win the World Formula
One title on both four wheels and two wheels. They were there to race
in the annual Legends race.  John Surtees was going to do some parade
laps on a phenominal little Honda multi too.

Gees, good thing I kept my mouth shut.

Oh yeah, the young kid, turned out he was reigning world motorcycle
champion, Scott Russell. He wasn't going to race until later in the
week, but he would end up winning the big Daytona classic - - - again!

So how do you figure out which brains to pick. Easy, just sit by
quietly and listen.  All the knowledge in the world is out there, and
if you listen carefully enough, and long enough, sooner or later, it
will come to you.  I have learned more listening in the pits at Maxton
than I have in fifty-plus years of hot rodding.

Dick J, still learning every day at sixty!