Re: Re: Parachute Release...

To: <wmtsmith@landracing.com>,
Subject: Re: Re: Parachute Release...
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 09:06:15 -0800
List
The rule book does not call out a release over ride but common sense does. I
ran one on a top fuel cars years back using a clippard air cylinder, a
simple air switch on the steering wheel and a one qt. air bottle. The air
cyl. was mounted in the cocpit with a cable back to the chute pack. The cyl.
was inside a piece of tubing with a small handle to push the cyl inside the
tube in the event of air loss. The tube had a slot for the push handle and
acted as a stop as well. It worked great. I never had an air failure but did
test the over ride to make sure it worked.

Sam wheeler uses a air release system the keeps air in the compression end
of the cylinder and has a spring in the tension  or rod end. It uses polyflo
tubing and if there is a fire the tube melts and the loss of air
automatically deploys the chute. I have seen it work  on his liner twice. It
also has a wheel mounted switch for normal operation and an over ride
release.

Glen