RE: Intercooler Icing

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Intercooler Icing
From: "Waldron, James" <James.Waldron@CWUSA.COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 09:20:26 -0500
Carb heat is not used during take-off as the heated air is less dense and
thus reduces available power for this phase of flight.  Also, the carb heat
air usually bypasses the air filter - WOT is not the time to be vacuuming up
dust, dirt, etc.

At WOT the engine usually produces enough heat to mitigate the problem.
Also, with the butterfly wide open there is less pressure drop across the
carb.  Carb ice is usually a cruise phase problem.  Don't forget the cooling
effect of the vaporizing fuel.

Fuel injection systems usually don't suffer from carb ice, and various
pressure carb's (they sense airflow and pump/spray fuel into the air stream
- a poor man's fuel injection) are also mostly immune.

My guess is that the blower heat of compression coupled with the dry desert
air will make it very difficult to achieve enough cooling to cause icing.
(my 2 cents.)

Thanks,
Jim W.

Snip.....