Re: Octane Booster

To: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Subject: Re: Octane Booster
From: Joe Amo <jkamo@rap.midco.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:12:33 -0600
I saw this posted on a website talking about xylene:

"" Home (fuel) chemistry can be fun.

Aromatic compounds like..

benzene
toluene = methyl benzene
xylene = di methyl benzene

..are good octane boosters.

The problem you get into using much xylene is that it doesn't evaporate
very quickly. Benzene boils at 80 C, toluene at 110 C and xylene at 140 C.

Even though xylene gives the best octane boost of this group of
compounds....it doesn't evaporate quickly enough to use more than about
10% in the fuel blend. Use a lot more than this and you will have to
fatten the fuel curve to account for the unvaporized fuel you are
burning in the headers.

A benzene toluene mix with some additives to improve ignition is what
was used in turbo F1 cars running 50-60 pounds of boost.

Benzene, toluene and xylene are about as toxic as lighter fluid.
Actually, these are some of the main components of old fashioned Zippo fuel.

However, THESE CHEMICALS ARE CARCINOGENIC...

They will cause lukemia with repeated small doses.

Most commercial gasoline contains about 2% benzene. Gasoline is exempt
from chemical regulation. If gas was not exempt from chemical you would
have to wear a suit and respirator when you gas your bike. Nobody can
say the oil companies don't have clout.

Octane doesn't scale in the linear fashion suggested by Todd's post.
Adding aromatics to pump gas will boost octane but how much requires
either a Waukesha test engine or a megabux math model only found in oil
company computers.

However, don't let this post discourage the experimentally inclined.
Just don't spill this stuff on yourself.

Pour it in and go...
...engines aren't that expensive [[lol]]

Joe