Re: Ugo Fadini report and FIA.

To: "Malcolm Pittwood" <MPittwood@compuserve.com>,
Subject: Re: Ugo Fadini report and FIA.
From: "landspeedracer" <landspeedracer@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:05:48 -0400
Malcolm

Point taken, BUT:
I still have a problem with several things.
1, That there is a differences "World Record" wise between the Jet/Rocket
cars records, the wheel driven record and everything else. There all World
records in their own class and need to be recognized as such.
2, As for 90 year old rules, well when the record was 50 or 75 MPH the one
hour turn around was reasonable. Make your run, probably in a mile or so (as
opposed to 7 to 12 miles today). Change the flat tire and return. They
didn't have 400 race cars out there waiting to use the road. As for the 1%
rule, again at 50 MPH 1% was OK but with our current timing capabilities we
can do better than 4+ MPH.
3, Averaging two runs, of course, preferably in opposite directions, but
making it imperative, like some how it diminishes the effort if two runs
were made on the same piece of real-estate in the same direction. I've done
both, there is little or no difference.
I think it's time to consider new rules. Very little difference from the 90+
year old rules, but practical for today's competition. Rules that consider
all the competitors rather than the ones who can afford private time.

John Beckett