26.5x18 mt's

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: 26.5x18 mt's
From: "James Tone" <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 22:51:13 -0700
I believe Nolan had these on his car.  If I heard him right when I was
certifiying his record, I believe he said he thought the reason the one lost
tread on the front was one "grew" at a slightly different rate than the other
causing it to be larger and slippage caused  the heat  by this may have been
why it separated the rubber from the casing.  Also he told me he normally
gained approx 40-50 mph in each timed mile and did not in the last one because
he felt something in the front change. (tire?)   I'm sure 400+mph puts a
strain on tires most competitors never get to see.  J.D.