Weight matters?

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Weight matters?
From: "Phillip Landry" <saltracer@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 20:39:47 -0500
Ok, I believe our race car is too heavy. I come to this conclusion because
the motor struggles to build rpm in third gear. Most people have contended
that weight is not critical at Bonneville and actually helps traction and
stability. We are running a kinda small (255ci) flathead and I'm thinking if
we lowered the weight of the car our overall performance would improve.
Don't ask the weight of the car, we haven't weighed it yet. It's a modified
gas roadster with a frame made of mostly 2x2 square tubing.
Also, how much slippage should we expect from our torque converter? We
crossed the finish line at 4900 rpm with 27" tall tires and 2.75 gears and
were only doing 125mph. Phil Landry