Re: Trucks & roof rails

To: "W S Potter" <wester6935@attbi.com>, "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>,
Subject: Re: Trucks & roof rails
From: "Dave Seely" <dseely@sginet.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 07:16:40 -0600
I remember seeing NASCARs sliding toward the infield and then rolling UNDER!
Not the typical, dig in the leading tires, highside roll but a low side roll
underneath (has anyone witnessed this on the salt?) sometimes without the
top even touching the ground.  Then they started requiring roof rails and
the panels that pop up when the airflow is backwards (these panels have
restraining cables to hold them at an angle to the airflow like an aircraft
dive brake).  The roof rails probably create some aerodynamic stability for
straight ahead work, but are really an advantage in spoiling the crosswise
airflow (and lift) across the top of the roof while in a slide.   Also if
you ran the tonneau on the truck from the top, front lip of the bed, to the
tailgate hinge area, wouldn't the slab sides of the bed become huge 'rails'.
Just a thought, no cheating out there, now.
Dave Seely
1141 XF/VOT