RE: OKAY BUCKWHEAT (LONG-- but you asked for it!)

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: OKAY BUCKWHEAT (LONG-- but you asked for it!)
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 23:25:06 -0500
Keith, list:
O.K., already.  I'm back from Bonneville, and getting back to work on my
bike. Here are my own observations from SpeedWeek:

1.  Jack Costella: what a guy.  Everybody said he is one of a kind, and he
lived-up to his rep.  Thank you Jack for the compliment that you found me to
be a "good listener".  It is easy listen to someone like Jack.  There are
other LSR "stars of the show"-- whom I respect, and would like to learn
from-- who are not as easy to listen to, to converse with-- because their
egos seem to make them contemptuous of different approaches to LSR.   Not
Jack.  I was talking with someone at one of the evening gatherings (I think
it was probably "Salt Talks", maybe when I was talking with Rick Yacoucci)
about all the wonderful "out-of-the-box" thinking that characterizes
Bonneville participants.  We discussed several examples.  When we got to
Jack Costella, we agreed that he transcends the term "out-of-the-box".  Jack
must have been born "out-of-the-box"-- and ain't nobody ever gonna put him
in one!!!  Nice to know you, Jack.  Didn't get to talk with you nearly
enough-- you are so much in demand.
2.  Ralph Linde: met him in the Costella pit.  Jack introduced him as "my
hero".  He's 70 years young, and building a new lakester.  I get the
impression that he intends to drive it himself.  When Jack Costella was
growing up, Ralph Linde was a central figure in the local hot-rodding scene.
Very talented in construction-- you should have seen the beautiful acetylene
welds on the frame of the (partially-completed) lakester!  More power to
you, Ralph!
3.  I renewed my love-affair with the Costella car Nebulous Theorem II-- I
think it must have something to do with the vagina-shaped front end.
(Nothing "nebulous" about that-- what's not to like?!!)  Makes me wonder if
anyone has done comparison wind-tunnel tests on humans-- ??  Based on the
success of Jack's cars, I'm beginning to suspect that women drivers may have
an unfair aerodynamic advantage!  -- but perhaps no builder has made full
use of that in the design of open vehicles.  But seriously-- Rick Yacoucci
is running his engine in the little Nebulous II this year, and he's really
kicking butt.  Congrats on the new record, Rick-- and great meeting you.
Continued good luck to you at El Mirage.
4.  "Salt Talks" the Amo family (particularly Jon) did an excellent job of
managing this gathering, as usual.  Bill Smith provided a competent hand at
the grille.  But the main thing that made it good for me is that the
chemistry between the attendees seemed especially good this year.  There was
a very big crowd, and everywhere I went I ran into great conversations.
Don't miss it next time, you guys!!
5.  Bill Smith already reported on the fast Pickup truck from Freeport,
Texas.  Although I didn't know this crew previously (Bill did), they are
"home-boys" to me, and I will be visiting them in Freeport.  A great bunch
of hard-working, fun-loving hot rodders, who have made excellent progress
with their ride.  They make us all proud to have a connection with them!
6.  "Bean Bandits":  these folks (from San Diego) throw one helluva party.
Did you ever drink margaritas from a 2-stroke margarita machine, running 15%
nitro?  No?  Then you don't know what you're missing!  Overall, not too
rowdy-- just rowdy enough.  Great, friendly bunch of folks-- many of them
recognizable names from the Southern Cal hot-rodding scene of the '50s &
'60s.  Bill and I (mainly Bill) helped to rebuild the margarita machine when
the weed-whacker motor over-torqued the drivetrain.
7.  Tom Bryant's Competition Coupe:  many of us know Tom from this list--
but do you know his car?  Damn, it's slinky-looking.  Bad-ass sound to it,
also.  Runs way up in "the high twos".  On the last day of the competition
Tom's son made a very fast pass (in the 290s, if I remember correctly)-- and
then the car began to spin in the 6th (shutdown) mile-- probably at about
250mph.  Bill and I were working the stewards station at about the 6 and
1/2, so we had a perfect view.  I was really impressed with the fine job the
driver did of "catching" the car-- counter-steering the spin, and popping
the 'chute simultaneously.  Is that a genetic thing, Tom?
8.  Hayabusas gobbling records:  in Impound, ran into a "newby" bike crew
from San Diego, led by an ambitious crewchief named Glenn Castro.  Although
they were new to Bonneville, these guys didn't need a pit-- they spent the
whole week in "the 'pound".  Don't know how many records they finally
collected, but it must have been at least a handful.  And there was another
Hayabusa crew with a young rider named Mark and an owner named Larry; can't
remember their last names, but I think they were from northern California.
Mark made "the two club"-- I think at around 214mph-- congratulations!
9.  Mark Lingua:  speaking of "Marks"-- I met Mark Lingua, and spent some
time in his pit.  Skip had encouraged me to get to know him, since I want to
build little engines with big power-- and Lingua has "been there, done
that".  He has a reputation for not disclosing much-- but he answered all my
questions, and even let me take a few pix of the car with the covers off.  4
days later he went out and set a new record for 1 liter blown fuel
streamliners (around 290mph).  Incredible.  Congratulations, Mark.
10.  Gary Allen:  having hung around with him a lot for three Bonneville
meets now, Gary (president of  USFRA) is beginning to feel like an old
friend.  He came to this meet with a blown D-motor in his Monza, and Bill
and I helped him unload and set-up his pit.  When we pushed him off the
starting line, the car was a little "fat"-- but clearing as he accelerated.
Gary said it began to lose power after a strong "quarter" trap, and he
pulled off.  Back in the pit we found that his blower rotors had
disintegrated-- so he went home early, with the prospect of having to
rebuild the motor.  Sorry, bud.  She was pulling strong, too!  (Gary will be
back.  Bonneville is in his blood.  HUGE commitment from this guy,
monitoring the "Save-the-Salt" program, etc., etc.)
11.  Keith Turk / Dave Dahlgren:  watched Keith tearing through "the three"
from The Red Flame (restaurant)-- great place for spectating!!  The old
"girly Camero" was hunkered-down like a streamliner, and clawing like a cat
in climbing-gear!  Found out the sorry outcome (broken trans) when we
visited Keith's pit a few minutes later.  But Keith and Dave  hung around
for most of the week-- helping other racers, and generally turning Keith's
pit into a "hospitality suite".  Nice hangin' with you guys.  Don't give up
on the Camaro-- you're starting to get a handle on it.  Remember, Nolan
White chased his goal with the same car for over 20 years!
12. Howard Nafzger:  I had followed Howard's medical ordeal through postings
on this list, and it was nice to see him up and around, and planning for
future campaigns for his car.  Good to see you, Howard.  Hope your plans for
the liner work out well for you.
13. "Dad" Land:  you-all are not gonna believe this guy!  From the list, I
expected him to be like me, or like Bill, or like Howard-- someone who might
have been kinda "radical" years ago-- but mellowing with age.  But NOOOO!
This guy is the real deal!  No mellowing, at all!! Reminds me of an older
biker buddy I had when I was a young buck.  Dyed-in-the-wool gypsy biker.
Long braid, intense expression, looks like he was born in leathers.  Lives a
lot younger than his real years, I suspect.  And doesn't let problems defeat
him.  Brought his wife and two girls along with his crew.  Rode the hell out
of a nitrous-snorted Sportster, and got at least one record (besides serving
SCTA as a tech inspector).  Damn fine job, "Dad"-- and great to meet you and
follow your record chase.
14. Vincent "happening":  what a wonderful SpeedWeek for nostalgia-loving
bikers (like me).  The twin-engine Vincent streamliner was back on the salt,
with Don Vesco and Dave Campos sharing the riding duties!!!!  Vincent lovers
and Vesco and Campos fans came from everywhere-- many from England.  Their
pits always had a huge crowd (bringing other Vincents), and they drew large
crowds at the starting line, too (especially when Vesco was riding).  I saw
them make two good launches.  Unfortunately, they never made a strong run--
mostly due to drivetrain problems, I think.
15. California HOT RODS:  the rodding "culture" is always alive and well at
SpeedWeek.  I suspect it survives there better than anywhere else.  The most
interesting stuff still comes from California.  You shoulda seen the
"rat-rod" old convertible, in primer brown.  I think it started as one of
the sleeker early '50s GM products-- maybe a Chevy Deluxe, or a Pontiac.  It
had no top, and no hood-- because the hood had been used to make a long,
swoopy (semi-boattail) cover over the rear deck area.  Split windshield,
like an Auburn Speedster.  And sticking out of that ratty old hood opening
was a long, tall, shiny (all polished aluminum) dual overhead cam Jaguar
straight-6!  Lord, I loved it!!!  What else?  How about a cruiser motorcycle
with an automatic trans and a chromed-out Chrysler hemi engine??  I tell ya,
you shoulda been there!
16. Visit with The 200-MPH Club:  for their annual Awards Banquet, the 200
Club sells a few tickets to us "also-rans" and spectators.  Bill and I went
for the first time, and got to hear Richard Noble give an excellent Keynote
Address.  Great speaker, great food, and we were eating among legends!  Got
to see Tanis Hammond recognized as the first woman inducted into "The Three
Club"-- and I don't know when I have ever seen a grown woman so giddy with
enthusiasm.  Tanis always seems enthusiastic, full-of-life-- but then, I've
only seen her at Bonneville, and Bonneville makes us all a little giddy.
Anyway, fate couldn't have made a better choice for "first into The Three".
Watched her return run from "The Red Flame"-- steady as a rock, as usual.
17. Best-Sounding Motor:  of course, there were a lot of great sounds.  And
I usually prefer hemi sounds to all others.  But this year the engine that
sounded best to me was a big-block Chevy (on nitro), in a pretty red
lakester called "Spirit of Oklahoma".  Part of the effect came from the
trick "extractor" exhaust, I'm sure-- but part came from much deeper in the
motor.  You'll seldom hear a motor that has such a strong, torquey "bang",
as well as such a willingness to rip the rpms into the stratosphere with a
touch of the pedal.  They had a strong run, but burned up the 'chute, and
decided to quit early (after fighting tow-truck problems for most of the
week).  Come on back, guys; you're pretty good (for Okies), and I really
want to see (and hear!) more of that lakester.

18. Dan Warner:  if you need a guide to "best spectating" at Bonneville,
then let me tell you-- it's watching return runs from a seat at The Red
Flame,  "working" the area around the starting line, getting a really good
look at the machines as they go through Tech (opening day is best), and
(maybe best of all) visiting with the record qualifiers in "Impound".  Dan
Warner (from our "list") rules Impound with a great disposition, a ready
smile, and with technical competence.  He is always one of the hardest
working guys at the meet-- but he seemed especially busy this time.  It was
my impression that we had an extraordinary number of qualifiers.  Great job,
Dan.  (You can rest now.)
19. Visit with Glen Barrett/ working as a course steward:  by invitation,
Bill and I visited with Glen in the timing trailer.  Amazing what a gracious
host Glen is, in the midst of the complicated task of managing the
second-by-second "happenings" of the meet.  And the timing trailer is very
impressive technologically, also-- running like the proverbial well-oiled
machine.  Much of this efficiency is due to Glen's efforts, as "ramrod' of
this crew.  When we served (first time) as course stewards later in the
week, Bill and I came to understand more of the details of how the course is
managed, and how timing is accurately accounted.  We worked directly for
Larry Burford, who is a long-time staffer, like Glen.  We were well-coached
and well-supported, and we were impressed with the clear-headed competence
of Glen and the other staffers as they handled the many difficulties that
arose.   We both thought that it was an excellent experience, and we both
hope to do it again.  Thanks, Glen and Larry, for taking the time to make it
good for us-- that was above-and-beyond the call of duty!
20. Last-day dinner with Dannenfeltzer and Fields crews:  Bill and I just
happened to hook-up with this bunch just as we were all leaving the salt,
late on Friday.   These guys have lots of Blue Hats (300-MPH Club), and they
seem to be pure "old-school".  I'm sure they thought that Bill and I were a
little weird for spending a lot of time investigating the variations in the
track surface, tire tracks, etc.-- but they were nice enough to buy us
dinner, anyway.  Thanks, guys.  I'll return the favor when I get MY blue
hat!!!  (the "new-school" way, most likely)
21. Al Teague:  all week long, Al's black car was making a spectacle of
itself, with one mind-blowing 380+ mph run after the other.  This car has
that booming nitro-hemi sound-- it's fairly big and easy to see-- and it
runs down the salt as straight and "planted" as a locomotive on a track.  If
Al figures he has to step-down, he sure closed the curtain with an awesome
performance.  Thanks for everything, Al.
22. Nolan White:  I had just sat down with  the day's first stack of
pancakes off the grille at The Red Flame.  It was not yet dawn.  I  sat
facing east-- for the sunrise, and for the return runs.  Nolan White had
qualified for the (unlimited) piston-engine record the afternoon before.  As
the sun slowly came up and objects began to be visible, I noticed a man and
woman waltzing in "no-man's land", between the return road and the long
course.   No place like Bonneville!!  Soon, the return runs started.  It was
still cool and gray when Nolan came flying past, and the hair on my neck
stood-up at the crack of his exhaust note.  The loudspeakers said that he
had the record, but I couldn't stop to relish the moment, because I'd seen
his 'chute tear-off, and the car was rapidly disappearing into the distance
toward the Interstate.  But you know the rest of the story:  we soon learned
that the mud had stopped him-- that Nolan was O.K.-- and that the record
would be his.  Congratulations, Nolan; I don't think anyone has worked
longer or harder.  I'm just sorry that Skip wasn't there to see it, since he
has long been a big Nolan White fan.

Can you tell that I loved it?  Can you tell that I will be back next year?
I hope to see YOU there!  Then YOU can cheer from a table at The Red Flame
as I make MY return run!!!!  (Or maybe I'll still be the one at the table,
cheering you.  At SpeedWeek, IT'S ALL GOOD!  May it live forever.)

Russ Mack