The great Bonneville adventure

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: The great Bonneville adventure
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 17:14:52 -0500
Well I've been home bout 30 minutes.... just downloaded 674 e-mails.. and
have only scanned some... but I've had several requests to say what happened
out there.... I'll cover the highlights and get to the rest later...

Tech was a hoot.... ( okay it stunk...) Dan Warner was my hero .... what a
guy.... the head tech guy was totally clueless.... But Dan squared his NON
rule reading butt away....  amazing deal... he didn't need to read the
rules... cause they weren't written the way he would have.... Not bustin a
Voluteer's chops here.... ... Shoot I guess even California has folks who
can't read....  least in Alabama....we don't put them in charge of things
that are important.... well other then the space program I mean...

The Camaro broke first pass... that simple... we found the weak link in the
drive train cause it was Hooked up and heading outta town.... 215 mph the
trans gave up the ghost and kicked outta 6th and into 4th.... buzzed the
motor to the moon... and we lost at least one valve... damage assessment to
follow....  Joe Timney did a great job on the car... man was it on a
rail.... whew... felt better then it's ever felt before... hunkered down and
was pulling like it had 800hp..... hmmm maybe it's cause Dave gave us that
much?    I'm going to set some things straight on this Dahlgren character
too..... dang it.... I wish you could have seen the way he handled all the
folks out there.... what a class damn act.... he has the most wonderful way
with folks in person..... He helped everyone that requested it and honestly
worked his butt off..... just a great guy... and Dave I thank you for the
effort on my junk.... we did the best we could... couldn't predict the trans
going away...... Well sorta..... I could have predicted it would not be run
in the Camaro again.... but I didn't even bring it home..... SOLD IT OUT
THERE!!!!  So much for a Richmond 6 speed.... they are not the ticket above
500 foot pounds of torque... that simple....  fair enough.....

Okay it's time for a nap and then to unload... unpack.... clean and do the
tear down analysis.... should be fun.... but it can wait till later.... I
needs my milk and cookies .....

Keith