Ugly Simca

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Ugly Simca
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 11:30:09 EDT
Okay  I know a studebaker when I see one, so he takes me over to see it and
yup its a Simca 4 dr, that looks for all the world like a 57 Studebaker
downsized somewhat. Don't ask me why they would copy one, pretty ugly. But
the thing
 Is there a Flathead production class, this would really get the guys
scratching their heads.
                                             Kvach
Kvach,
    Sure glad we all don't have the same tastes regards beauty. If it's a
finned 1956-61 Stude Hawk or a 1953-55 2-door Starliner hardtop or Starlight
pillar coupe it's based on what's generally recognized as one of the most
beautiful car designs ever, a product of famed designer Raymond Loewy. Until
the latest generation of GM Camaro's and Firebirds came onto the LSR scene
the Loewy Stude body was the accepted standard of "slippery".
    Regards the class it would run in in LSR. XF class is restricted to
production Ford/Mercury engines produced between 1932 & 1953, displacing up
to 325 ci.
    As I recall, the Simca was a copy of the 1937-40 Ford V8-60 engine. I
doubt that anyone would question its being passed of as a 60 unless there are
some glaring external differences.
    Regards it setting any records, Kenny Kloth holds the Bonneville record
in XF/Prod at 140 in his 1950 Merc and the "Thrifty Fifty" Ford holds the El
Mirage record at 130. The Simca would have its hands full with those marks.
Perhaps a better class would be one of the VOT venues that has a place for
the V8-60 engine.
                                      Ardun Doug King