RE: Traction Control

To: "'Dave Dahlgren'" <ddahlgren@snet.net>,
Subject: RE: Traction Control
From: "rgribble" <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 20:32:06 -0400
Dave & interested members of the List,

Dave, as usual you make good common sense.

There is no question that several NASCAR teams use various forms of
(illegal) traction control, we have some of the old parts in our shop to
prove it. There are at least two companies installing these "systems" on
Winston Cup and Busch cars and guarantee them to be undetectable. If
anyone wants the names of a company call me. I'd put it on my T'Bird
since I'm time only (TO) but it's over $15K.

Of course, they are usually only used in the first half of the year so
the car(s) can place in the top ten but not win (it's all about annual
points you know). However, I believe it will become NASCAR legal in a
few years simply due to the safety value and the inability to police it.

I went to B'Ville testing some tires and spun twice. I learned somewhat
what I wanted about the tires but w/traction control I'd know exactly
how good each tire actually performed (and not spin).

There are new technologies in the automotive world that (WE) LSR's
should be using and experimenting with to improve the sport. Besides TC,
and others, there are electronic shock absorbers that have a metallic
fluid that electronically changes viscosity (in milliseconds) based on
suspension requirements.

I said enough but I'll lobby with you Dave because it's the right thing
to do.
Grib

"Do what others Won't and you'll do what others Can't for the rest of
your life"