Re: Jeep Grd. Cherokee with 318 v8 (not land-speed related)

To: "Richard J. Hockert, Esq." <rjh.co@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Jeep Grd. Cherokee with 318 v8 (not land-speed related)
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 12:32:14 -0800
Richard,

I am enclosing a couple of fixes from a network that I belong to, for
similar problems. Because you are getting fuel odor I would suspect the
ignition problem.

The components in the system that have a major effect on fuel mixture
are the Air Temp & Water Temp sensors (both thermisters), and the MAP
sensor. If you have a way of checking these when the problem occurs,
maybe you could pin it down. The thermister has high resistance when
cold (over 1000 ohms) and low when hot (100 to 200 ohms).

___ORIGINAL MESSAGE___
hi jeep techs. this jeep will not start sometimes after the
engine is hot and the vehicle sits for a hour. the starter
cranks fine. there is spark at the plugs. the fuel injectors
are pulsing. i found today that i had no fuel pressure when
this condition happens. the fuel pump and relay are new.
replaced with dealer parts. alldata is showing a fuel pump
ballast bypass relay. i can not find this part. i did not
have power at the orange and black wire at the fuel pump. is
the ballast relay the same as the fuel pump relay?

this vehicle finally would not start at all. we had power and
ground at the fuel pump. removed fuel pump and bench tested
pump. the new dealer pump was bad. cleaned the gas tank again
and replaced the fuel pump with another dealer pump. the
vehicle is still running. i hope this pump is better than the
other pump. even new parts can go bad. we never found the
ballast relay on this vehicle. we did replace the asd and
fuel pump relays. thank you again for all of the replies on
the post.