Re: NOT LSR - - AC wiring question

To: "Dick J" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: NOT LSR - - AC wiring question
From: "Bill Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:02:55 -0400
Dick if you are feeding your sub panel from a 2 pole breaker (which you
should be) All will be taken care of. Basically The 2 pole breaker connects
to both 110 lines when it is plugged in. Never use 2 single pole breakers
for 220. In a overload condition only one may trip and the other will still
be on. Chance for someone or something to get hurt. You should be using a
Using a 3 conductor wire to connect to your main panel to the sub panel.
Typically the conductors are color coded Red, Black, White, And Green. Red
and Black being used to connect to from your breaker in the main panel to
the lugs or main breaker in your sub panel. The white will connect to the
neutral bus in the main and sub panels. Green being ground will connect to
the ground bus in both panels. Sometimes it depends on the local codes the
neutral and ground buses are the same. Before turning on the power to your
new sub panel take the time to use and ohm meter to check your wiring and
connections. Turn all the breakers off in the sub panel and the breaker
feeding the sub. Measure the resistance between Red and each other
conductor. It should measure infinity. Now check the Black to the Neutral
and the Ground it should also measure infinity. Measure between Neutral and
Ground it should measure a low value less than 100 ohms. If you don't get
these reading go back and check your connections and if you stapled the
cable check each staple sometimes one will nick the cable. If you get good
readings go ahead and turn the power on. hope this answers your question.

Bill
"If your fuses are blown its those queer electrons"