Re: I knew you'd pick the '41Ford!!

To: "Jim Rose" <jimrose@lightstream.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I knew you'd pick the '41Ford!!
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 21:43:00 -0500
Jim.... Okay I'll talk to you from experience.. For the last three years I
have been racing this tired old Camaro... it's my learning tool... I have
never owned or raced a car before.... I was a true wanna be.... ( nothing
bad about that statement..)  and now I have well over 20 passes on the salt
over 200mph with a best top speed of 228mph...  and we ( Brad Johnson ) have
put me in the 2 club at Muroc.... Brad and Will Handzel in the Two Club at
Maxton... so we have had some success as well as failure.

My First recommendation is to do Exactly what your doing... Probe your own
mind and decide what your goals are UP front.... sit down and write down
what you expect to accomplish.... in one year... 3 yrs and 5 yrs.  This
isn't a Go play on the salt and leave gig.... you will be hooked for life.

My reason for setting goals like this is simple.... it's easy to go for the
Cheap way out up front... but sooner or later if your goals are higher then
what the Cheapest Part or quickest project can provide... your going to
double and in some cases triple the price of racing simply by having to
continuously buy better and better equipment....

You mentioned the term competitive...  We are all competitive...  The key
note here is WHO is it you chose to compete with?  Can you be satisfied
running against your own best time?  or do ya wanna compete in the class you
pick..... cause those are Two radically different statements....  I know
some folks like Rich Fox.... who truly love this sport and can gain Great
satisfaction from working on a Project ALL year just to go a Tick faster
then he has ever gone before with that type combination.... it's not about
competing with others.... he is totally satisfied with racing himself...( he
also has several engines that have set some serious records )   BUT if you
want to set records then I am going to ask you HOW fast do you want to go
ultimately?  do the Two Hundred Mph clubs interest you?  then you HAVE to
set a record in your class.... which means on that day you had done a better
job then anyone EVER in that particular class...This isn't going to be cheap
obviously.... But there are classes where it's more reasonable then
others...

Bottom line.... if you know where you want to be at the end of this we can
help you get there....and tell you what will and won't work  or at least
what has worked for us.... and NOT worked....

Keith ( Will Handzel said this and I believe it.... " the Beauty of LSR is
that No one can be a looser"