Re: LSR in Hot Rod

To: "David Freiburger" <FreiburD@emapUSA.com>
Subject: Re: LSR in Hot Rod
From: "Ed Van Scoy" <edvs@uswest.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 14:40:04 -0700
Dave, here's my $.02 worth:
Things change. I'm sure 50-60 years ago (I wasn't around to verify this) I'm
sure a lot of people thought overhead valve conversions were "not fair". I was
around 30+ years ago when the "clone hemi" mountain motors began to show up,
and again people cried foul because they didn't come out of a "real" car. With
the eco-wackos having too much time on their hands, they are trying to
speed the demise of the internal combustion engine - the greatest danger to our
planet according to Al Gore's book. A lot of alternative engine research is
being done - in and out of the corporate domain. It is only a matter of time
before even more innovative power plants start showing up on the salt, and who
knows, one of them may work REAL well. If you put yourself in the
piston-only box today, you may have to rename the trophy "Vintage Top Speed" in
2025. Your decision of wheel-driven/piston may be the correct one today, but
when a fuel-cell technology car sets top speed of the meet, I'll bet some
people will be around to cry "foul"
Ed (OK, maybe it's only worth $.01 with inflation)

David Freiburger wrote:

> Since I'm sitting here editing the story, I thought I'd delve into
>self-promotion and let you all know that the December 2001 issue of Hot Rod
>will have a story on all the cars that have won the Hot Rod trophy at
>Bonneville since 1949. For those who do not know, this perennial award goes to
>the racer with the fastest one-way pass at Speed Week. The issue goes on sale
>November 6th.
>
> Also, beginning in 2001, we've (Gray Baskerville and myself) decided that the
>trophy will only go to piston-driven, wheel-driven vehicles. That's a bit of a
>conflict, since it's already gone to Vesco's Turbinator twice. Any opinions?
>
> DF

///