Re: TowTruck transmission/ Tow Haul button

To: Ken Bond <kmb2@humboldt.edu>
Subject: Re: TowTruck transmission/ Tow Haul button
From: William T Smith <WmTSmith@landracing.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 05:07:25 -0600 (MDT)
The 99 up GM trans with the tow/haul button do not lock
out OD- the trans. has fuzzy logic and if gets too hot
or gets too "busy" it then blocks off OD and stays in
direct. No matter what it has if you are towing buy the
lowest gears and put BIG trans oil coolers.

Who makes the different valve body?WmTS

Quoting Ken Bond <kmb2@humboldt.edu>:

> Greetings,
>
> Back from a coast-to-coast trip with side trips to
meet Keith, Brad, and
> Ed.  If you get into Alabama, a side trip to say HI
to Keith and Brad is a
> must stop.  Yes... Keith really does make fake rocks
for a living. Ed, in
> Arizona also talked at length with me about his car
and his thinking about
> going fast.  Thanks to all for WONDERFUL hospitality.
>
> During the trip I picked up some information about
towing a trailer and
> about transmissions that might be of interested to a
few.  Comments will
> follow, but first a comment about a couple of cars
for sale.  While
> visiting with Brad Johnson, he commented that he has
TWO Firebirds for
> sale.  One has a tremendous amount of work done
(frame construction) to run
> in a couple of different classes and he wants almost
no money for both cars
> as a package.  If you know anyone interested in
getting into this mischief,
> have them contact Brad.  {I don't know if Brad has
put out a for sale
> notice or not, but since they are not my cars, I
figure I am free to
> mention it.}
>
> Transmission:  The trip cost me a transmission
rebuild and I found out why.
>  I was pulling with a Chev truck with a 4L60E
transmission.  It so happens
> that in over-drive, half of the fluid is diverted
from the cooler and
> emptied back into the pan (to help gas milage as I am
told).  Anyway, it
> appears to be a good idea NEVER to tow in OD with one
of the 4L60E trans as
> in the 96 Chev. trucks.  (Later models have a lock
out button, but my truck
> did not.)  I have also learned that you can replace
the converter clutch
> valve with a different unit that directs ALL fluid
back through the cooler
> and it is recommended if you drive at sustained high
speeds in over drive
> with or without a trailer.
> If I had known that before the trip, the plastic in
my wallet might not be
> quite as hot.  I was using OD ONLY on flat and
downhill terrain and it was
> still to much for the unit.  Bummer!
>
> I would be interested in others with a better
understanding of this issue
> commenting.
>
> Good to be back
>
> KEN
>

> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * *
> * Ken
Bond,                                                 *
> * Prof. of Bus.
Admin.                                      *
____________            *
|_________  *
> *                          /     How much
horsepower     /  *
> *                         /      Can I have and
still   /   *
______/    *
|_61______61_|           *
> * Hm.:707.826.7764           I Never Drive Faster
than      *
> * Hm Fax:707.826.0334        My Guardian Angel Can
Fly      *
> *
Internet:
  *
> * kmb2@humboldt.edu
(office)                                *
> * ragtops@humboldt1.com
(home)                              *
majordomo@autox.team.net
> ///  with nothing in it but