Things that go "bump" in the block

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Things that go "bump" in the block
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 18:08:09 -0700 (PDT)
Well, after six months, I finally got the
Camaro's motor started a little while ago.  It
sounds real strong and had good throttle
response, but there was a hollow, metalic bumping
inside the timing cover so I shut it right down.
It didn't sound like anything heavy, just a
thumping against the timing cover. It seemed to
be timed about with the fuel pump push rod
(mechanical Carter NASCAR pump) but it was not
coming from the pump or the block, it was
definitely inside the timing cover.  I guess I'll
be opening the front cover back up to investigate
Satuday.  Oh well, this will give me an excuse to
trash the timing chain and put in the Pete
Jackson gear drive that I really wanted to use.

Anybody got any guesses as to what might be
making the noise?  It sounds about like if you
tapped a table spoon against the timing cover
once per each cam revolution.  It's got the same
sprockets and chain that was in the motor before
I changed cams, and everything was nearly new.

Dick J
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

///