Re: Intake Flow CFM

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Intake Flow CFM
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 05:26:09 -0400
I have to believe even in LSR it is the area under the curve not the peak power
that gets you down the track. if it were only peak power you would need a mighty
long track and 5 miles might not be enough till she 'cleans out' and gets
going.. The huge carb will never meter fuel correctly until you hit the peak
rpm. Now that begs the question how are you going to get there under a load? You
know the real problem with going 220 with a combo like that is it has to go 190
also to get there if you get my point...
Dave

Dick J wrote:

> Here's one I've wondered about for a long time.
> I know that on street cars and drag cars,
> over-carbureting knocks out your bottom end
> punch.  But, for LSR, why would over-carbureting
> be a problem.  Or what I really mean is: "Can
> over-carbureting really exist in LSR?"
>
> I remember using an old fashioned hand pump to
> inflate a flat tire on my dad's truck.  It got
> real hot (loss of energy) and real hard to pump
> up and down (more loss of energy) if you tried to
> pump it too fast.
>
> Isn't that exactly what a car engine is doing.
> The piston is going down on "intake" and trying
> to pull a vacuum a lot faster than atomospheric
> pressure can fill the hole (otherwise there would
> be no advantage to supercharging.)  If the
> atmosphere is trying to push into the vacuum
> through four 1.25" throttle bores, isn't the
> motor using a lot of it's own horsepower just to
> try and create more of a vacuum than the
> atmosphere can fully fill?  Wouldn't it be a lot
> easier to breath through four 1.50" bores, or
> maybe eight 1.25" bores?  I mean, no more air or
> fuel mixture is going to enter the engine than
> what the capacity of the cylinders dictates, but
> it would get in there with less resistance.
>
> If the "ideal" flow for a given motor is a 750
> CFM, it just seems that it would still pull 750
> CFM through TWO 500 CFM carburetors, but with a
> lot less work than through a single 750 CFM rated
> carburetor.
>
> I know, you lose some charge velocity if the
> intake area gets too big, but it still seems that
> the HP loss through the breathing restriction at
> wide open throttle would eat up a lot of
> horsepower.
>
> =====
> Dick J
> In East Texas