Re: Compression Ratio

To: <Flowbench@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>, <saltracer@awwwsome.com>,
Subject: Re: Compression Ratio
From: "David Freiburger" <FreiburD@emapUSA.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:28:41 -0700
Go to www.classiccar.com. Click on Tech Data, then look for Compression Ratio
in the list of Shop math Calculators. The site also has a good program for
displacement.

For compression ratio, you'll also need your head-gasket bore (probably 4.125),
your head-gasket compressed thickness (probably 0.041) and your piston dome or
dish in CCs (your "flattops" probably have at least 7ccs of valve reliefs). You
also nead to know the piston deck height, which unless you've specifically
machined to correct it, ir probably 0.015-0.025 in the hole. Also check your
true cylinder-head ccs before trusting published numbers.

DF

>>> Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com> 6/20/01 8:16:58 PM >>>
My second question for the day:  "How do you
figure compression ratio?"

I've got a 4.010 X 3.480 350 Chev with flat tops
and 72CC chambers.  I was told this should yield
about 9.1:1 CR.

Doug Anderson has a 4.040 X 3.250 327 with .010
domed pistons.  I think we figured about 9.8:1 on
his motor.

He is looking at some 55CC heads. My guess was
12:1.  He doesn't think it would be over 10:1.
What is that going to do to his CR?

What will I end up with if I put on a set of 64CC
heads?

///

///